Displaying an author bio section can be a very beneficial thing for a site because it allows the visitors to establish a connection with the author or the owner of the site. In this article, I am going to show you how use a default WordPress functionality to create a simple bio section in your sidebar or in any other widget area.
Note, you do not need to install any 3rd party plugins. We are going to use a default WordPress widget to display a bio section which is a good thing because you do not need to add an additional functionality to your site to display such a simple section.
The bio section section will be consisted of three parts: a section title, an image and a bio. The bio can have multiple paragraphs and also includes any links. To create this section, we are going to use a Text widget that comes from WordPress core by default. In your dashboard, do the following steps:
- Navigate to Appearance → Customize.
- In the Customer, click Widgets link to open the Widgets panel.
- In the Widgets panel, select a widget area where you want to display an author bio section.
- In the selected widget area panel, click Add a Widget button to open a list of available widgets on your site, and then located the Text widget in that list and click on it to add it to the widget area.
- In the added widget, click on the input field under the Title label to enter your the section title.
- Click Add Media button to upload your profile picture, or you can select the image from the media library if it is already uploaded on your site. Once the image is added to the editor, you can change its size or/and its alignment by clicking on the image and using the editor controls.
- Add your text below the image.
- Click Publish at the top of the panel to save your settings.
As you can see, this approach does not require to install any plugins to display a simple bio section. For more complex sections, you might need to use a plugin that comes with additional options.