At times, it can be pretty hard to present a content without using links. Thankfully, there are several ways to add links in WordPress.
The importance of links cannot be discounted.
Not only using links makes the site navigation easier, they also play important role for SEO.
A link is a word, group of words, or image that the site visitor can click on to in order to open a new webpage.
WordPress allows to insert links in posts, pages, widgets, and anywhere else that you normally edit text.
In this article, you will learn possible ways to set links in WordPress.
Add link to text
The editor makes it very easy to set up links to other web pages from your content in WordPress.
Let’s review several ways to add a link to text.
Using the Link button:
- In the Block editor, select the text that you want be linked.
- Then, click the Link button in the toolbar.
- This will bring up a box where you can enter the URL of your link. You can also click the toggle to open the link in a new tab.
- Click the Apply button when you are ready.
- To remove the link, select your text again and click the Remove Link button. After that the link link will be removed.
Using Copy and Paste actions:
- Copy the URL you want to link. To copy, highlight a URL, then right-clicking it and choose Copy, or use a keyboard shortcut like
CTRL + C(PC) or
CMD + C(Mac).
- In your page or post, highlight the text you want to link.
- Paste the URL you copied directly over the highlighted text. To paste, highlight the text (if needed), then right-clicking it and chose Paste, or use a keyboard shortcut like
CTRL + V(PC) or
CMD + V(Mac).
By the way, WordPress allows to create various types of links:
Add link to images
WordPress also makes it possible to link images you have in a content area.
In case you want someone to click on an image to be taken to another page, then follow these steps:
- In the Block editor, add an image using the Image Block.
- Click on the image to display the block toolbar.
- In block toolbar, click the Insert link icon. To learn what each icon in the block toolbar does, hover over the icon and wait a few seconds for text label to pop up.
- A box will pop up where you can paste your link or search your existing site content.
- To open the link in a new tab, click on the Link settings arrow and enable “Open in New Tab”.
- Click the Apply button to save changes.
Taking everything into account, we can state that WordPress provides many different ways to add links to a site.
However, you decide which method best fits your needs.