If you have a blog or an online magazine then there is a high chance that your posts are organized by categories. By doing so, you improve a navigation of your site.
Usually, category links are shown in the post itself but there might be cases when you need to show these category links in your site menu. So this is the reason why we have created this quick guide of adding a category page link to a WordPress menu.
What is a category?
WordPress category is one of the default features in WordPress, meaning you do not need to install any additional plugins to have this functionality on your site. The main purpose of categories is to provide a way to group related posts together.
The location of the category section on your site varies from theme to theme. On the other hand, there are themes that do show categories at all. Even in this situation, it is still possible to have category links on the site and we would like to show you how to achieve this.
Adding category links to a WordPress menu
Mostly all the themes support WordPress menu functionality. Moreover, It is something that comes from the WordPress core by default.
If your theme, for some reasons, does not support it then you should contact the author of the theme for more information.
Let’s take a look at the Aquene theme. In the screenshot above, you can see that the theme displays categories above the post titles.
Also, the same categories are shown in the main menu which is located next to the site title.
To do the same in your site, open your WordPress dashboard:
- In your dashboard, navigate to Appearance → Customize to open the Customizer.
- In the Customizer, find Menus and click on it to open the Menu pane.
- In this pane, select the menu to edit.
- Click on Add Items. It will open a list of items that you can add to your menu.
- Select Categories.
- Click the Plus icon next to the category you want to add. WordPress will automatically add it to your menu.
- Click Publish to save the changes when you are ready.
Leave a Reply